It takes a lot of work to make a market run. It wouldn’t be possible without the support and aid of our dedicated volunteers and loving community.
The Anacortes Farmers Market continues to evolve and grow each year and our volunteers are an important part of our success. As a volunteer you develop a special connection to the market and your community. You will make new friends, be surrounded by creative, hardworking folks, appreciative customers and enjoy the beautiful Depot grounds. We hope you will be inspired to contribute to your market. Individuals as well as community groups are welcome!
Here are some of ways you can help us as a volunteer:
Urgent! We are hoping to collaborate with a civic or other group of volunteers to help with break-down (and possibly set-up) of market. Your group would send 2 volunteers each week to help out for 1-2 hours (beginning at about 2pm). Tasks to be completed are below.
Take Down 2:00 – 3:30 (2-3 people)
- Wipe down café tables & collect table tents
- Stack tables & chairs, store back in shed
- Collect signs/barricades
- Collect garbage/recycle stations
- Bring trash to dumpster
- Put compost/recycle in bins and wheel to curb
- Take down stage equip & tent
- Bring merch bins back to office
- Take down Info booth, tables & weightsHandyman skills appreciated! We frequently have small fix-it tasks such as fixing the ramp into the container, fixing a wheel on the hand cart, replacing nuts and bolts on canopies etc.
Set –up 7:00-9:00 Saturdays,
- Set up 12 café tables (and put on table cloths of applicable)
- Put a table tent on each table
- Wheel out stacks of chairs and set up around tables
- Put out 2 road barricades and 2 AFM Welcome signs, handicap parking signs
- Set up stage – tent, banner, weights
- Set up information tent(s), tables, weights, cart etc
- Set up 3 garbage/recycle stations
- Put bins of merchandise in Info booth
Information Booth 8:45-2:00, one to two hour shifts Saturdays ( 5-6 people)
- Provide general market information (market hours, restrooms, etc )
- Provide information about Anacortes for visitors
- Sell tokens and track incentive programs (credit card machine)
- Sell Merchandise (first shift may set up merchandise display)
- Assist with occasional surveys and do customer counts
Children’s Booth – Coming Soon!
We will be seeking to collaborate with a group or just a few dedicated volunteers to help run the Power of Produce Club. Perhaps starting once a month and growing to every week, we will have children’s educational activities that will require at least 2 volunteers each day. More info to come.
There is so much more to running a market than just market day! Here are some additional ways to help:
Non-market day help
- Distribute posters, fliers, schedules around town
- Put up and take down market sandwich boards (adopt a sign)
- Join a committee! (marketing, events, outreach etc)
- Additional help during larger/special events
- Possible building/repairing equipment –handyman duties
- Or perhaps you see an opportunity to help that we haven’t even thought of !
- Be prepared for all weather! Dress in layers
- Strong backs preferred for a.m. & p.m. set up. There is a lot of lifting, wheeling and dragging.
There are times when the market just needs an item of furniture or particular supplies. We may list things from time to time or ask the community for help on a project. It’s a great way to help out if you can’t volunteer or donate. Businesses can help too! Often the equipment we need can be found in the back room or scratch and dent pile.